## *Core App*: CX Support
### Note: This app is pre-installed in Cytoscape 3.6 or later
**_You should not download this app_ from the store yourself. If Cytoscape detects that a new version is available in the App Store, it will notify you as it's starting and will give you a chance to download it directly.**
**_You should not download this app_ if your Cytoscape is earlier than 3.6. An earlier version of this app is pre-installed in your Cytoscape, and this app cannot replace it.**
# CX Reader/Writer
* 10/10/2017 - v2.2.2. Minor update to support latest version of Cytoscape.
* 9/22/2017 - v2.2.1 release (minor bug fix version)
* 6/12/2017 - v2.2.0 released. Root network table handler added.
* 4/5/2017 - v2.1.0 released. It supports basic filtering for aspects.
* 10/24/2016 - v 1.1.3 released. Default layout will be applied to networks without layout section.
* 9/2/2016 - v 1.1.1 released.
CX is the data exchange format, implemented as JSON, for Cytoscape Cyberinfrastructure (CI) services and applications. With this app, you can import and export networks in CX JSON format from/to a file.
As of June 2016, this format is used for data exchange between Cytoscape and [NDEx](https://www.ndexbio.org/) database, and eventually, this will be used by all other Cytoscape CI services.
### Use Cases
CX is a new standard based on JSON. Your application can use a standard JSON reader to import files generated with this app, and your application should interpret the JSON according to the [CX Format Specification](https://www.cytoscape.org/cx). If you are planning to create Cytoscape CI services, you can use this app to generate test data from existing Cytoscape session files.
### CX Format Specification
* [CX, the Cytoscape Cyberinfrastructure Network Interchange Format](https://www.cytoscape.org/cx)
## How to Use
This app provides standard Cytoscape file readers and writers -- you can access CX import and export options from _File_ menu.
### Import CX
* **FIle → Import → Network from File** and choose _cx2_ or _cx_ as file format.
### Export CX
* Export network and visual information:
* **FIle → Export → Network to File** and choose _cx2_ or _cx_ as file format.